Help available for high school dropouts
PHILADELPHIA - August 19, 2008 - (WPVI) -- A large number of Philadelphia students who drop out of school really want to go back.
Now, the city's school district has a new way to help them achieve that goal.
It's called "The Re-Engagement Center," which helps 16 to 21 year olds who've disconnected from school re-enroll in diploma or GED programs. Research found 85% of young people who quit school actually want to come back but don't know where to turn.
"We didn't have a system," said Courtney Collins-Shapiro of the Re-Engagement Center. "So kids were calling different numbers, going different places and it was sort of if they lucked out they wound up in a place that made sense for them. Now we're saying it's our job to own that and help you, soup to nuts, get everything you need."
The Re-Engagement Center is at district headquarters. It's one stop shopping that helps place students in programs that fit their learning styles and needs. Some need smaller classes, mentoring, child care or even housing to learn well.
It's there to help students like Victilicia Rodriguez, who felt insignificant in her overcrowded classes and disconnected without fanfare.
"Students were unruly," Rodriguez said. "And my immediate reaction was to stop going to class. Over time I nearly stopped going to school completely. Out of 120 school days, I attended 18."
Now, Rodriguez is a college bound honor students while attending one of the 20 alternative learning programs the center uses.
Already 300 students have come through the re-engagement center.
For more information:
Call (215) 400-6700
The School District of Philadelphia
440 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130
Hours: 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.m Monday through Friday
local/state, denise james
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Woman hospitalized in West Oak Lane fire
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- San Antonio flooding kills 1; hundreds rescued
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore