Alleged plot foiled at Pottstown H.S.
NORRISTOWN, Pa. - December 9, 2008 (WPVI) -- A Montgomery County high school student is being charged with attempted murder.
The teen has been identified as 15-year-old Richard Yanis of Feist Avenue in Pottstown. Authorities claim Yanis was planning a shooting spree at Pottstown High School.
Investigators say the 15-year-old had three guns - a 45mm, a 22mm, and a 357 magnum with 300 rounds of ammunition.
The investigation started on November 11 when the teen's father had initially reported the three handguns stolen. After a month-long investigation police determined the son had stolen the guns and had given them to a friend to hold. Eventually that friend told his mother after he tossed the guns and ammunition into Pottstown's Manatawny Creek.
The friend is not facing charges because police say he didn't know why Yanis had the guns or what his plans were.
Prosecutors say the plot was planned for some time after New Years. There was no hit list.
Yanis is being charged with Attempted Murder with a Deadly Weapon. He is also being charged as an adult since there is no juvenile status for the given charge.
The 15 year old suspect's parents sent out a family spokesperson from their home to simply express the turmoil their lives have been thrown into... and their desire to be left alone.
While neighbors here describe Richard Yanis as a polite, respectful young man... his classmates at Pottstown High School describe him as a timid person who had a hard time making friends.
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 6 min ago
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3rd suspect ID'd in Exton jewelry store theft 59 min ago
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- 2 weeks after waking up in body bag, Miss. man dies 35 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- High winds cause damage across the region
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad