Norristown drug arrests
NORRISTOWN, Pa. - March 9, 2009 (WPVI) -- More than $14-thousand worth of cash and drugs were confiscated in the raid but what has investigators shaking their heads about this case is how the alleged drug dealers were so completely out in the open about their operation while being just a few blocks away from the district attorney's office.
Swat Team officers made the arrests and walked away with no shortage of evidence. They collected bags and bags of cocaine, crack, marijuana and ecstacy along with a cache of hi-powered weapons including an SKS assault rifle complete with a bayonet.
"You can stand at one end of Norristown and almost reach the other end of Norristown with that weapon it is a deadly weapon to say the least," said Risa Ferman, Montgomery County District Attorney.
Ferman says two men named Timothy Lyons and Charles Johnson were the ringleaders and they had 6 cohorts, one of whom is only 16-years-old.
Ferman says the men were drug dealing outdoors, in broad daylight, just a few blocks from her office, with no fear of local authorities.
"They were brazen they were arrogant in their behavior they acted as if they thought they would never be caught.
But they were caught thanks, in large part, to local informants. People who live here say they've dealt with suspected drug activity in the past but never anything so brazen.
"They'd do it out in the open they'd ride around in cars during the daytime, nighttime these guys don't even have jobs and they got brand new cars," described Larry Mills.
"I wouldn't want my nieces and nephews playing around there and I mean I got nieces and nephews little brothers and up in Norristown and it's not safe Norristown is just not the same anymore," said Ashley Walker.
The 16-year-old's identity is being withheld because of his age in the meantime each of the defendants have been arraigned and they're each being held on $1-million cash bail.
CLICK HERE to follow Action News on Twitter
CLICK HERE to get Action News on your website
CLICK HERE to find Action News on Facebook
local/state, walter perez
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose