Philly's SugarHouse Casino granted permit
PHILADELPHIA - March 27, 2009 - -- One of Philadelphia's proposed slot-machine casinos has received its first construction permit from the city.
Developers of the SugarHouse Casino were issued a foundation permit for the construction site on the Delaware River waterfront on Friday.
SugarHouse spokeswoman Leigh Whitaker says it will be a few weeks before developers are able to discuss a construction timeline, including laying the foundation.
Civic groups and city officials have challenged the locations of SugarHouse and the city's other proposed casino, Foxwoods Casino Philadelphia.
But this week the state Supreme Court appointed a special master to settle disputes concerning SugarHouse and ordered the city to grant the permit.
SugarHouse has fought with the city after it won a license from state regulators in 2006.
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish 14 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire 57 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting 27 min ago
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's...
14 min ago