Philly's SugarHouse Casino granted permit
PHILADELPHIA - March 27, 2009 - -- One of Philadelphia's proposed slot-machine casinos has received its first construction permit from the city.
Developers of the SugarHouse Casino were issued a foundation permit for the construction site on the Delaware River waterfront on Friday.
SugarHouse spokeswoman Leigh Whitaker says it will be a few weeks before developers are able to discuss a construction timeline, including laying the foundation.
Civic groups and city officials have challenged the locations of SugarHouse and the city's other proposed casino, Foxwoods Casino Philadelphia.
But this week the state Supreme Court appointed a special master to settle disputes concerning SugarHouse and ordered the city to grant the permit.
SugarHouse has fought with the city after it won a license from state regulators in 2006.
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting 17 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run 18 min ago
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
17 min ago