Suspects sought in brazen ATM theft
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - September 9, 2009 (WPVI) -- Police in Upper Darby say two men, armed only with a clipboard and a handcart, stole an ATM machine containing $96,000 from Delaware County Memorial Hospital.
RELATED SLIDESHOW: See surveillance pictures of the suspects
The crime happened on Monday night.
Security footage shows two men arriving in the parking lot at approximately 8:17 p.m. in a white Ford Econoline van.
They are next seen at 8:24 p.m. riding in the hospital garage elevator. One suspect is pushing a hand dolly and the other is carrying a clipboard.
They are seen walking down the hallway then, two minutes later, they are seen at the New Day Café located on the second floor.
The men left the café at 8:27 p.m. with the Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union ATM on the dolly with an estimated $96,000 inside.
The machine weighs 780 pounds when empty and is valued at $17,000, police said.
"Seven people walked by (the suspects) while they were waiting for the elevator," Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said.
Both men wore baseball-type caps and gloves. The black male was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and the white male was dressed in black.
They were last seen pulling out of the hospital parking lot 8:45 p.m.
Chitwood describes the well-orchestrated crime as a "made-for-TV theft."
The Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union was notified of a power surge shortly before 9 p.m., when the two men cut the access wiring to remove the machine. By the time the company had arrived to find the machine stolen, the thieves had already gained a two hour head start.
The charred remains of the ATM machine and van used to transport it were later found in Philadelphia after being set on fire.
All of the cash inside the ATM was missing.
Police also learned the van had been reported stolen.
Anyone with information about the theft can contact Upper Darby detectives at 610-734-7677.
- BIG STORIES: Get the most popular stuff on 6abc.com
- Follow Action News on Twitter
- Get Action News on your website
- Follow Action News on Facebook
- Get the latest Philadelphia headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys
- Police: Missing boy struck by car
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- No jackets for North Philadelphia cheer squad
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Stolen cobalt-60 found abandoned in Mexico
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Photos: 6abc at Q102 Jingle Ball 2013
- Video: 20th annual Phila. holiday tree lighting