Bedbugs bugging firefighters
WILMINGTON - September 9, 2009 (WPVI) -- When 16 Wilmington firefighters and 2 New Castle County paramedics began to suspect they had a problem at Station 2, they thought it might be a flea problem.
"We had an exterminator come out. They evaluated the situation and advised us that we did have bedbugs," Battalion Chief Carl Zipfel of the Wilmington Fire Department said.
With that, they threw out mattresses, upholstered furniture and carpets, anything that may serve as a habitat for the six-legged creatures that hide during the day and feast on your blood at night.
"Last night, we relocated the company to a different firehouse so there was no one staying here last night," Zipfel said.
Bedbugs have been the increasing focus of reports on Action News recently with infestations being cited at apartment complexes and shelters across the tristate area.
RELATED LINK: Local victims bite back at bedbugs
A CDC report on the problem notes the bedbug population across the US has increased by 500-percent in recent years and investigators found three epicenters for the pests in three poultry facilities in the US, in Arkansas, Texas and the state of Delaware.
The cause of the resurgence is unknown, but it may be due to increased international travel and the ban on pesticides like DDT.
"We'll be purchasing all new bedding and furniture today," Zipfel said.
The problem can be expensive to eradicate. At the Wilmington Fire Station 2, it cost $810 for the exterminating service and another $4,500 for mattresses and furniture.
Firefighters are told wash their gear if it was stored at the station.
A bill has been introduced in Congress to give states more money to tackle bedbugs.
Officials say there are no other problems being reported at any of their other firehouses.
- BIG STORIES: Get the most popular stuff on 6abc.com
- Follow Action News on Twitter
- Get Action News on your website
- Follow Action News on Facebook
- Get the latest Philadelphia headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys
bedbugs, local/state, dann cuellar
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area 36 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm causes multiple accidents, delays at airport 38 min ago
- Photos: Wintry weather forecast maps 44 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's wintry mix 10 min ago
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Video: Eagles fan tailgate in the snow
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
36 min ago