Two Philly Catholic high schools to close
PHILADELPHIA - October 8, 2009 (WPVI) -- Action News has learned the Archdiocese of Philadelphia will close both Northeast Catholic High School and Cardinal Dougherty High School at the end of the school year.
In a letter to parents obtained by Action News, the Office of Catholic Education and the Board of Education of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia recommended the closure.
Cardinal Justin Rigali then accepted the recommendation.
The letter says enrollment numbers, school capacity and the finances of the Archdiocesan high schools all played a role in the decision.
Enrollment at Northeast Catholic has declined 29% in the last 10 years, the letter added, and was projected to drop another 24% over the next three years. At Cardinal Dougerty, enrollment has dropped by 43% in the last 10 years with a projected drop of 34% in the next three years.
As enrollment dropped, officials said they could not hire enough teachers to offer students a diverse curriculum beyond core subjects.
School officials say they will help students during the transition to new schools.
The letter also informed parents that more information about open houses and registration at nearby Catholic high schools will be provided at a later date.
On the website for Cardinal Dougerty High School, students are informed of a meeting Friday morning. Parents are told the principal, Dr. Thomas Rooney, will be available to meet in the auditorium on Friday night at 6:00 p.m.
- BIG STORIES: Get the most popular stuff on 6abc.com
- Follow Action News on Twitter
- Get Action News on your website
- Follow Action News on Facebook
- Get the latest Philadelphia headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys
- Police officers narrowly escape bullets in North Philly 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
2 min ago