115 pedigree cats removed from Pa. home
AUDUBON, Pa. - November 11, 2009 (WPVI) -- A woman is being charged with animal hoarding after officials found 115 pedigree cats inside her home.
Authorities were at the home of Jean Coady in the 2000 block of Berkly Road in Audubon, Pa. on Wednesday.
They brought out the 115 cats, along with two dogs.
The Pet Adoption and Lifecare Society (PALS) said it obtained access to the animals in August in what a Delaware County SPCA investigator described as a "hoarder situation."
They were tipped off after Coady showed up at the Delaware County SPCA with a cat she wanted euthanized. It was in such deplorable shape, they investigated.
RELATED SLIDESHOW: Pictures of the cats taken from the home
PALS said many of the animals suffered from parasites and skin problems, but the biggest problem was starvation. PALS took the most seriously ill cats out of the house during their August inspection, and at the time decided the rest could be temporarily cared for at the Coady home under their supervision.
But the neglect continued, authorities say, so they showed up on Wednesday to take all of the animals.
The PSPCA may file criminal charges depending on what turns up when the animals are examined by a vet. Four of the cats are in critical condition.
Now, they are hoping to find new homes for the cats once they are healthy.
Breeds found include Siamese, Persian, Ragdoll, Balinese, Himalayan and Maine Coon.
Anyone interested in supporting or adopting these cats is urged to visit the PALS website or to call 610-299-1860.
Meanwhile, the township code officer also showed up with the police to make sure the house is habitable. Coady and her husband have been allowed to stay in the house Wednesday night, pending further inspection.
- BIG STORIES: Get the most popular stuff on 6abc.com
- Follow Action News on Twitter
- Get Action News on your website
- Follow Action News on Facebook
- Get the latest Philadelphia headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight 15 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware 56 min ago
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Woman hospitalized in West Oak Lane fire 13 min ago
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing 26 min ago
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
56 min ago
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
15 min ago