Man charged after dog attack
PLYMOUTH MEETING, Pa. - November 16, 2009 (WPVI) -- A man from Plymouth Meeting, Pa. is facing a number of charges after his dog allegedly attacked a five-year-old girl.
Police say Gary McKeown's dog, Max, was known to be vicious but was allowed to roam free.
The attack last month sent the girl into surgery for five hours with severly damaged vocal cords and a punctured larynx. She recently returned home after six weeks in the hospital..
Investigators say McKeown owned a produce farm, and the girl, Miabella Delaney-Lipshutz, was there to pick pumpkins with her mother.
The family's lawyer said at first the dog appeared friendly, but it then attacked the child for no apparent reason.
"He had his jaws clenched around her throat, her mother watched the whole thing," said attorney Matthew Casey. "The mother actually had to grab the dog's jaws and pull them apart.
Authorities say the dog has severely attacked at least three other people in the past, in cases dating back nine years. Montomery County officials had long since ordered McKeown to keep his dog away from customers.
"This was a pure accident, and that dog was not supposed to be around children," said Tomas Egan, McKeown's attorney. "He knew that and took some steps to make sure that wouldn't happen, even that day."
The dog has since been put down.
McKeown was arraigned Monday morning and released on $50,000 dollar bond. He could face up to seven years is prison.
- BIG STORIES: Get the most popular stuff on 6abc.com
- Follow Action News on Twitter
- Get Action News on your website
- Follow Action News on Facebook
- Get the latest Philadelphia headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys
dog attack, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 51 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 57 min ago
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder 54 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
51 min ago