Holy war over cross at Reading school
READING, Pa. - December 15, 2009 (WPVI) -- A school is wading into a legal battlefield while trying to preserve what some people call history.
When the Reading School District bought the old St. Joseph's Medical complex on Linden Street a few years ago, the plan to convert it into an intermediate high school for freshman and sophomores included the removal of the century-old cross on top of, what was, the hospital's chapel.
Recently though, several members of the school board made a motion to keep the cross where it is, saying it's an important piece of Reading's history. It was a decision that quickly spiraled into a debate about the separation of church and state.
Roofing materials to cover the spot where the cross now sits had already been purchased and the construction team was set to knock it down last week. Now, though, on-site crews are working around that part of the building until a decision is made either way.
Those discussion will also include the likelihood of a lawsuit. Mary Catherine Roper of the Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union says the ACLU is aware of this case. She sent a statement to Action News saying: "The school board had it right with the initial plan to remove the cross as part of the overall renovation... There is no possible legal justification for allowing it to remain there."
reading, religion, aclu, local/state, walter perez
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight 16 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run 44 min ago
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 37 min ago
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester 6 min ago
- Van crash leaves 2 men trapped in Center City 7 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
16 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and...
44 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
37 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite,...
31 min ago