Teacher's aide asked to resign over nude photo
BANGOR, Pa. (AP) - January 7, 2010 -- An eastern Pennsylvania teacher's aide has been asked to resign after a nude photo of her circulated among students.
The high-school aide apparently left her phone unattended at a non-school event, when someone found it and started distributing the photo.
Bangor Area Superintendent John Reinhart says he will seek to terminate the six-year employee if she doesn't resign. He says her ability to work with district youngsters has been compromised. She has not been at work for several days.
The woman's name is not being released and Reinhart doesn't know if she has a lawyer.
The district is asking parents to check students' phones for the image.
Reinhart calls it a teachable moment for students on the risks that come with instant communication.
The Associated Press had reported that the techer resigned. Action News has learned that is not the case.
Someone at a school in Bangor, Northampton County got a hold of the aide's personal phone, which contained a nude picture of the woman.
And what happened next has police looking for the culprit - while the aide may have to look for a new job.
School officials say the woman at the center of this whole thing was expected to tender her resignation at 3:00 Wednesday afternoon. But so far that has not happened.
If you live in the Bangor Area chances are you've seen it.
"My sister's seen it. Actually, my dad came home and said that people were passing it around," said Adrianna Carpelli, a student at Bangor Area High School.
She's talking about the nude photo of a teacher's aide at Bangor Area High School. District officials say the woman took the picture of herself on her cell phone.
The problem started when the teacher's aide left her cell phone unattended. Someone then apparently grabbed the phone, went through her picture files, found the nude photo, and started forwarding it to students at the high school.
Now, members of the local school board say they are left with few options.
Bangor Area School Board member Ronald Angle says, "I think if she doesn't resign she probably would be terminated."
The situation has sparked a heated moral debate. The teacher's aide did not break any laws and never intended to go public with the picture. But can an educator be effective in the classroom if the students have seen her naked?
School officials say privacy laws were probably also broken by the person who forwarded the photo in the first place. But that issue will remain moot since at this point they still don't know who did it.
Action News obtained the woman's name but is choosing not to release it.
pennsylvania, northampton county, sex, adult content, local/state
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse 9 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash 48 min ago
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 56 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse
9 min ago
- Man mistaken for dead passes away
53 min ago