New Jersey student still missing in Haiti
TRENTON, N.J. - January 15, 2010 -- At least one New Jersey resident was still missing Friday following the massive earthquake in Haiti.
Hopewell native Christine Gianacaci, a 22-year-old student at Lynn University in Florida, was on a relief mission with 11 other students and two faculty members.
Eight students in that group, including one from New Jersey, were located and have returned to Florida. Gianacaci, three other students and two faculty members were still missing Friday.
On Thursday, an aid worker from New Jersey was freed by French firefighters from the rubble of the collapsed Montana Hotel in Port-au-Prince.
Sarla Chand, 65, of Teaneck, is vice president of international programs at the New Windsor, Md.-based medical relief group IMA World Health.
Church groups return home
A second New Jersey church delegation headed home Friday from Haiti, where they were caught in Tuesday's devastating earthquake.
Officials at The Presbyterian Church in Lawrenceville said 14 congregants and staff members from there and six people from other Mercer County churches were flown early Friday from Port-au-Prince to San Juan, Puerto Rico. They later left on a U.S.-bound flight.
The Rev. Jeff Vamos said they were due to arrive at the church in midafternoon. Vamos said he spoke Friday with the Rev. Darrell Armstrong, the pastor of Shiloh Baptist Church in Trenton, who was also on the trip.
Vamos said Armstrong discussed having members of both congregations come together to celebrate the homecoming and pray for the victims in Haiti.
The church group is the second from New Jersey to get out of Haiti with everyone alive and accounted for.
A 15-member group from Trinity United Methodist Church in Hackettstown arrived early Friday. Members of that group were playing ball with children at an orphanage when Tuesday's quake hit.
haitian earthquake, haiti, local/state
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila. 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Woman's body found between parked cars in W. Phila. 21 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged 31 min ago
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker 57 min ago
- Couple accused of letting 2-year-old smoke pot
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more