3-year-old's 911 call saves grandma's life
MAPLE SHADE, N.J. - January 25, 2010 (WPVI) -- In an extraordinary phone call, a 3-year-old saved a life in Maple Shade, New Jersey.
It is a story that for some is too improbable to believe. Our hero is, after all, only 3 years old. But even doctors say if not for his quick thinking, his grandmother who is recuperating would not be alive.
Candace Robbins, the mother of 3-year-old Jaden Bolli, taught him how to call 9-1-1 in case of an emergency last Monday.
"I told him 'You have to call 9-1-1, hit the green button and tell them that you need help,' and he said,'OK,'" Robbins told Action News.
Of course, no one could have predicted that only four days later, Jaden would be putting his newfound skills to work.
Last Friday morning, call it fate, call it destiny, Jaden was supposed to be watched by his grandmother, Chris Robbins. However, she fell ill and had to have his other grandmother, Patricia Bolli, whom Jaden calls, 'Mom-Mom'. They were about to play with puzzles when suddenly Bolli suffered a stroke.
"I fell on the floor and passed out," Patricia Bolli told Action News. "Jaden, I remember him calling, 'Mom-Mom, Mom-mom, wake up.'"Moments later, she said, Jaden picked up the phone and called 9-1-1.
Here's how the conversation went:
"The fact that he did what he had to and didn't freak out or panic or get shy or embarrassed and go hide somewhere, like he knew what to do and he was calm about it," said John Bolli, Jaden's father.
Patricia Bolli was rushed to Kennedy University center in Cherry Hill. The doctors who work in the emergency room there say, if help had arrived just a few minutes later, Patricia Bolli may have died.
"He doesn't really get it," Jaden's mother says. "Nope, that's why all this will be for him when he gets older, he can go back and look at it."
For now, Jaden is just happy his "Mom-Mom" is going to be alright. He is content to go back to play with his toys; but, it is a story that Jaden's family, the police, paramedics and doctors who responded will remember for a very long time.
new jersey, hero, 9-1-1 call, local/state
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges 10 min ago
- Shower In Spots
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Child falls from 2-story window in Point Breeze
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade 54 min ago
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape...
10 min ago