Returning champ conquers Wing Bowl 18
PHILADELPHIA - February 5, 2010 (WPVI) -- It's an annual Philadelphia tradition on the Friday before the Super Bowl.
Of course, we're talking about Wing Bowl.
Thousands pack into the Wachovia Center for an all-they-can eat chicken wing affair with quite a few scantily-clad women on the side.
18,000 people packed the Wachovia Center, arriving as early as 4 a.m.
They came, of course, for this spectacular spectacle: Wing Bowl 18, an annual event that could happen only here in Philadelphia.
"Crazy! You never know what's going to happen from moment to moment," said Tim Cermigano of Mantua, New Jersey.
After the eaters entered on floats with entourages in tow, it was time to get down to business - The messy business of eating hundreds upon hundreds of chicken wings.
The 29 contestants gobbled plate upon plate of sweet-smelling wings and did their best to keep it all down. But some just couldn't do it and they were done.
"Better them than me. I can't imagine eating this for breakfast. Crazy," said Tom O'Brien of Mantua, New Jersey.
Returning champion Super Squibb, real name Jonathan Squibb, dominated yet again. The accountant from Berlin, New Jersey finished first after eating an unbelievable 238 wings. Three more chicken wings would have been a wing bowl record.
"I was just focused on the wings, not worried about anything else going on," Squibb said. He added that while it was a "bummer" that he fell short of the record, his mood was lifted by his prize: A new truck!
PJ Welihans in South Jersey cooked up 9,000 wings for this year's Wing Bowl.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, wing bowl, local/state
- Ocean County forest fire fully contained
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of New Jersey forest fires
- House gutted in South Philadelphia blaze 34 min ago
- Warning about dating apps after violent crimes
- Eye doctor, daughter post bail after pot bust
- Wedding crashers apologize to bride
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault
- 1 dead after motorcycle, vehicle collide in Wilmington
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening
6 min ago