Returning champ conquers Wing Bowl 18
PHILADELPHIA - February 5, 2010 (WPVI) -- It's an annual Philadelphia tradition on the Friday before the Super Bowl.
Of course, we're talking about Wing Bowl.
Thousands pack into the Wachovia Center for an all-they-can eat chicken wing affair with quite a few scantily-clad women on the side.
18,000 people packed the Wachovia Center, arriving as early as 4 a.m.
They came, of course, for this spectacular spectacle: Wing Bowl 18, an annual event that could happen only here in Philadelphia.
"Crazy! You never know what's going to happen from moment to moment," said Tim Cermigano of Mantua, New Jersey.
After the eaters entered on floats with entourages in tow, it was time to get down to business - The messy business of eating hundreds upon hundreds of chicken wings.
The 29 contestants gobbled plate upon plate of sweet-smelling wings and did their best to keep it all down. But some just couldn't do it and they were done.
"Better them than me. I can't imagine eating this for breakfast. Crazy," said Tom O'Brien of Mantua, New Jersey.
Returning champion Super Squibb, real name Jonathan Squibb, dominated yet again. The accountant from Berlin, New Jersey finished first after eating an unbelievable 238 wings. Three more chicken wings would have been a wing bowl record.
"I was just focused on the wings, not worried about anything else going on," Squibb said. He added that while it was a "bummer" that he fell short of the record, his mood was lifted by his prize: A new truck!
PJ Welihans in South Jersey cooked up 9,000 wings for this year's Wing Bowl.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, wing bowl, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 42 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 23 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ