Carbon monoxide causes evacuation of mall
MEDIA, Pa. - February 7, 2010 (WPVI) -- Officials in Delaware County evacuated the Granite Run Mall this afternoon after high levels of carbon monoxide were detected.
The incident was reported at around 11:46 a.m.
According to Chief Bill Cairns of the Lima Fire Company in Middletown Township, the initial report was of a diesel leak inside the JC Penney store.
Once firefighters arrived, Cairns says, they found a high reading of CO.
Cairns says the ventilation system was malfunctioning and would not turn off.
"Which took CO throughout the entire mall; we wound up shutting the entire mall down," Cairns said.
The JC Penney store will stay closed for the day due to the fuel leak in the heater room.
No injuries were reported.
pennsylvania, carbon monoxide, media, delaware county, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos