How is PennDOT spending stimulus money?
PHILADELPHIA - February 18, 2010 (WPVI) -- Pennsylvania's Department of Transportation hit a jackpot of sorts when federal stimulus money started pouring in for new projects.
So how is the money being spent?
PennDot says look no further than the Girard Point Bridge, which carries I-95 over the Schuylkill River, just north of the airport.
PennDot is currently working to repaint the bridge, improve its supports, repave the surface, and clean out its drains.
The price tag: $70.3 million.
"This era of funding gave us a shot in the arm to get these projects out the door and on the road and into the infrastructure," said Lester Toaso of PennDOT.
PennDot is using a total of $257 million in stimulus funds to pay for 30 projects across the five-county region.
They are projects that wouldn't be happening without taxpayer dollars.
The money is putting hundreds of people on the construction payroll, like those involved in a project along the Schuylkill Expressway in Upper Merion Township. There, they are consolidating ramps at the Gulph Mills exit at a cost of $10.5 million.
Another of the 30 projects is an improvement along the Blue Route between the Schuylkill and the PA Turnpike. It's another hefty, stimulus-funded project costing $71.7 million.
To add to that, PennDot will also be installing more traffic cameras and sensors, so they can get to accidents quicker.
pennsylvania, penndot, construction spending, local/state, matt o'donnell
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Tracking Weekend Storm 43 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
53 min ago
- Tracking Weekend Storm
43 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos