Woman attacked by pit bulls dies
FISHTOWN - February 20, 2010 (WPVI) -- A family is in mourning after a confrontation between a mother and daughter went tragically wrong.
The incident happened just before 7:00 a.m. Saturday at a home on East Oxford Street in the Fishtown section of Philadelphia.
Killed was 37-year-old Christine Staab, who perished after being mauled by a family pit bull.
Her stepfather, Thomas Fowler, said his wife was trying to take the keys to their home away from Staab. Fowler says Staab lives at the home when she wasn't in drug rehab or jail.
Fowler says the pit bull that attacked, named Jade, was doing what comes naturally to a dog; she was protecting his wife.
Fowler's wife frantically called 911 for help because Jade had locked her powerful jaws around Christine's neck.
"The dog reacted to it and, unfortunately, it ended the way it did," Fowler said.
Fowler says the family owns six pit bulls, all of whom he says were friendly, nonaggressive pets.
Police shot two, Jade and Jade's offspring, when police arrived at the scene.
"She wasn't a bad person, she was just messed up and we tried helping her," Fowler said.
Four other pit bulls are in SPCA custody and the family hopes to have them returned.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, dog attack, local/state, lauren wilson
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd 42 min ago
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del. 17 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball