At meeting, school avoids webcam discussion
NARBERTH - February 23, 2010 (WPVI) -- The mayor of Narberth, Pa. says a meeting tonight with the superintendent of the Lower Merion School District will not contain any discussion of the webcam lawsuit.
The meeting, according to Mayor Tom Grady, had been planned for months prior to news of the lawsuit. It is one of a series of community meetings that the superintendent had planned to address redistricting issues.
Citing the federal lawsuit, school officials didn't talk about the issue.
The family of student Blake Robbins is suing the district, alleging that Harriton High School officials took a photo of him inside his home. He learned of it when an assistant principal said she knew he was engaging in improper behavior at home, according to his potentially class-action lawsuit.
Robbins and his family have told reporters that an official mistook a piece of candy for a pill and thought he was selling drugs.
RELATED STORY: The Robbins family talks to Action News.
Lower Merion officials confirmed last week they had activated the webcams to try to find 42 missing laptops, without the knowledge or permission of students and their families.
Both the FBI and local authorities are investigating whether the district broke any wiretap, computer-use or other laws.
The makers of the software told Action News that the Lower Merion school board should have left the job of tracking lost or stolen computers to law enforcement.
"We discourage any customer from taking theft recovery into their own hands," according to Stephen Midgley of Absolute Software.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, webcam controversy, local/state
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95 5 min ago
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Obama mourns death of icon Nelson Mandela 30 min ago
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Missing mom, baby from Newark, Del. found
- Sinkhole opens up on Northern Liberties street 43 min ago
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook 42 min ago
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
5 min ago