"Hoax mom" denied release for house arrest
DOYLESTOWN, Pa. - February 24, 2010 (WPVI) -- Action News has learned the Bucks County mom who faked a carjacking and kidnapping won't be leaving jail this weekend.
Bonnie Sweeten was set to leave prison for house arrest on February 27th. However, officials say she violated prison rules, and will have to remain in prison until her next court appearance.
The court will then have to reconsider her house arrest and parole status.
Authorities refused to specify exactly which rules were broken.
Sweeten is currently serving a 9-23 month sentence for the crime. She pleaded guilty in August.
In May, Sweeten called 911 reporting that she and her daughter had been carjacked and kidnapped by two black men at the intersection of Street Road and Central Avenue in Upper Southampton Township, Bucks County.
Prosecutors say she instead used a former co-worker's driver's license to fly to Florida and check into a hotel at Walt Disney World, where she and her daughter were found.
Sweeten is also the focus of a federal theft investigation. Authorities are looking into reports that she may have stolen hundreds of thousands of dollars from her own family and the law firm where she worked.
pennsylvania, bucks county, bonnie sweeten, local/state
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist 46 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 14 min ago
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown 1 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 6 min ago
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Man with samurai sword arrested at New Jersey deli
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply 37 min ago