Wind hampering plows in NJ
TRENTON, N.J. - February 26, 2010 -- Plows are battling wind-whipped snow across New Jersey Friday.
The latest winter storm to blast the Garden State has left accumulations from 2 inches in parts of south Jersey to 17 inches in the state's northern reaches.
The Transportation Department says the major highways are snow-covered, but passable.
Speed has been reduced to 35 mph on the New Jersey Turnpike and Atlantic City Expressway.
NJ Transit has suspended bus service from Mercer to Bergen counties, including routes in and out of New York City. Trains are honoring bus passes.
Hundreds of schools are closed and Garden State government offices will open two hours late Friday.
Despite the stress the snow and wind are placing on trees, only about 3,400 customers are without electricity in the Garden State.
Forecasters say the snow will taper off through the day.
new jersey, snow, local/state
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 26 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend! 54 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft 50 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian killed in Collingdale hit-and-run 7 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Finally, a nice weekend!
54 min ago
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing...
26 min ago
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart...
50 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos