Pa. priest facing drug charge dies
SCRANTON, Pa. - March 5, 2010 -- Roman Catholic officials say a northeastern Pennsylvania priest who was facing drug charges has died after developing a medical problem in rehab.
Officials from the Diocese of Scranton say 50-year-old James Shimsky died Thursday at a Rochester, Minn. hospital. Shimsky had been residing at a nearby rehab facility following his Jan. 30 arrest in North Philadelphia.
Philadelphia police say Shimsky was charged with drug possession after officers saw him buying cocaine.
Shimsky had been on leave from his position as pastor at St. John Vianney Parish in Scott Township, Lackawanna County.
Diocese spokesman William Genello said he didn't have details of Shimsky's death.
pennsylvania, scranton, drugs, illegal drugs, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 6 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 10 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 10 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 10 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
6 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
10 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
10 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos