Implications of "Jihad Jane" indictment
March 9, 2010 (WPVI) -- When authorities announced the indictment of Colleen LaRose, they made a great deal about two particular facts that make this case even more curious first, the use of the internet to recruit terrorists overseas and second, that some of those recruits were women. It is, experts say, a watershed moment."Through the internet, terrorists now have a potent recruiting tool."
Ed Turzanski, of the Foreign Policy Research Institute, is an expert on counter terrorism, who said the internet has long been fertile ground for those bent on acts of violence. Now though, it's who's using it that's causing concern, Americans and women who are seeking ties to terrorism.
"People are defying the stereotype if you will. And in this particular case, you have someone who doesn't look as if she was from the Middle East," he said. "But was in a position where she wanted to offer herself up."
A willing offer enthusiastically accepted because of what this woman could allegedly accomplish that some men could not, even if both have evil intentions the women?
"They're less likely to be subjects of suspicion."
And women are more likely to successfully recruit others. It's an effort on behalf of terror networks to thrive and to stay ahead of techniques to catch them. In this case, an effort that fell flat.
"And we're getting better at this every time."
Terzanski says that even though "Jihad Jane" was caught what she was allegedly capable of, and planning on, should not be overlooked. All the more reason, he says, to celebrate this investigation.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, terrorism, colleen larose, local/state, brian taff
- China: Vietnam detects signals from missing plane 9 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos