6 sickened by CO at Lehigh Valley supermarket
FORK TWP., Pa. - March 16, 2010 -- Carbon monoxide from a propane-powered tile cutter being used in a grocery store renovation in eastern Pennsylvania has sickened at least six people.
Forks Township Fire Chief Charles Chapman says about 35 people were evacuated from the Giant supermarket about 9:30 Monday night after construction workers complained of nausea and headaches. About a dozen people were taken to hospitals, some as a precaution.
Chapman says the carbon monoxide levels were life-threatening in the construction area, which had been separated from the rest of the store by a tarp. The rest of the store had low levels of the odorless and colorless gas.
The 24-hour store has returned to normal operation.
A manager at the supermarket referred calls to a corporate spokeswoman. She did not immediately return a phone message left late Monday.
pennsylvania, northampton county, carbon monoxide, local/state
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del. 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 53 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike 21 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 51 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet 49 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets 54 min ago
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber