Temple to add temps if nurses strike
PHILADELPHIA - March 26, 2010 -- Officials at Temple University Hospital say they've hired 850 temporary workers in preparation for a possible strike by nurses and other staff members due to a contract dispute.
Hospital CEO Sandy Gomberg says care at the hospital would not be affected if about 1,000 nurses and 500 other staffers go on strike next week.
The Pennsylvania Association of Staff Nurses and Allied Professionals has set a strike deadline for Wednesday morning. Negotiators from both sides last met on March 15 and talks are in mediation.
A strike would also affect staff members such as respiratory therapists and social workers. Gomberg says the temporary workers are arriving for orientation.
Sticking points in the negotiations include pay increases and health care benefits.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Death toll lowered in Okla. tornado; 24 dead 8 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help 4 min ago
- Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado 9 min ago
- Street-level interactive weather map
- Delaware trash can explosion leaves 1 injured 14 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- SUV crashes when dog gets stuck in steering wheel
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids 4 min ago
- Death toll lowered in Okla. tornado; 24 dead
8 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos