Parents fight for future of Catholic school
COLLINGDALE, Pa. - March 29, 2010 (WPVI) -- A nearly 100 year old Catholic school in Delaware County is in danger of closing its doors for good.
St. Joseph's School in Collingdale was built for 800 to 900 students, but only 234 currently attend.
The Archdiocese said the school could stay open if enrollment stays above 200, but 40 students will graduate in June.
So, to make sure they hit the mark, parents have raised some $10,000 in just a few weeks to help families pay the $250 registration fee.
"It's per child, so a family that may have three of four children in the school? That's really tough on them to come up with that kind of money," said parent Jenny Clay.
If St. Joseph's stays open, $200 of the fee will go toward tuition.
Action News spoke to one young mother who came to register her daughter for the fall.
"I hope they do get what they need and they keep this open as long as they can," said Jessica Jordan.
The Archdiocese has set a registration deadline for March 30th, but no announcement on the school's future will come until after Easter.
"I would think if someone brought it in March 31st it wouldn't be refused, said Superintendent Mary Rochford. However, she hoped parents would stick close to the deadline so there will be an accurate count of students by the time a decision has to be made.
Like so many parish schools St. Joseph's has been home to several generations of families.
"My mom went here, my family went here and it needs to stay open," said 7th grader Victoria Dooner.
Parents are hoping their efforts will make that happen. Not just for next year, but well into the future.
pennsylvania, delaware county, local/state, cathy gandolfo
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 55 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 37 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 50 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 42 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 46 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 35 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
37 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
55 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
52 min ago