Dad Vail Regatta has new sponsor in Philly to 2014
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - April 14, 2010 (WPVI) -- Officials of Philadelphia and the Dad Vail Regatta have announced a new sponsorship by a London-based company that will keep the long-running intercollegiate rowing event in Philadelphia for at least the next four years.
Aberdeen Assets Management Inc., which has a Philadelphia office, will be the new sponsor. The renamed Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta will be May 7-8 on the Schuylkill River, and officials say it will stay in Philadelphia at least through 2014, the event's 75th anniversary.
The Dad Vail Regatta features more than 3,000 rowers from 120 colleges and universities in the United States and Canada. The event has been held in Philadelphia since the 1950s.
Organizers late last year announced plans to move the race to Rumson, N.J., but that proposal fell through.
The company also supports the Aberdeen University Boat Race held each February in Aberdeen, Scotland.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, mayor michael nutter, dad vail regatta, local/state
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives
- Snow is turning the ground white again! 10 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app 34 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware 1 min ago
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Snow is turning the ground white again!
10 min ago
- Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
1 min ago