Philly firefighter, son charged in fatal beating
PHILADELPHIA - April 21, 2010 -- Police are considering filing murder charges against a Philadelphia firefighter and his son following the death of a man they allegedly beat over a traffic dispute.
Fifty-five-year-old Mark Wallace died Tuesday of injuries suffered April 8 in a beating in Northeast Philadelphia.
Police say Wallace walked in front of a car driven by 47-year-old off-duty firefighter Gerard Shaffer, sparking an argument over who had the right of way. They say Shaffer and his 21-year-old son, also named Gerard, jumped from the car and pummeled Wallace until he was unconscious.
The Shaffers were charged Monday with aggravated assault and other counts. But police say both men could now face murder charges.
The elder Shaffer, a 23-year veteran of the fire department, has been suspended with intent to dismiss.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, beating, homicide, local/state
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports 3 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run 7 min ago
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Grandmother sentenced in Pa. baby's 2009 death
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Police question suspect in Christmas package theft
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Photos: East Passyunk Avenue Tree Lighting Party
- Region prepares for wintry weather
9 min ago
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
7 min ago