Philly firefighter, son charged in fatal beating
PHILADELPHIA - April 21, 2010 -- Police are considering filing murder charges against a Philadelphia firefighter and his son following the death of a man they allegedly beat over a traffic dispute.
Fifty-five-year-old Mark Wallace died Tuesday of injuries suffered April 8 in a beating in Northeast Philadelphia.
Police say Wallace walked in front of a car driven by 47-year-old off-duty firefighter Gerard Shaffer, sparking an argument over who had the right of way. They say Shaffer and his 21-year-old son, also named Gerard, jumped from the car and pummeled Wallace until he was unconscious.
The Shaffers were charged Monday with aggravated assault and other counts. But police say both men could now face murder charges.
The elder Shaffer, a 23-year veteran of the fire department, has been suspended with intent to dismiss.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, beating, homicide, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lots of sun, chilly today 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly 20 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos