Philly firefighter, son charged in fatal beating
PHILADELPHIA - April 21, 2010 -- Police are considering filing murder charges against a Philadelphia firefighter and his son following the death of a man they allegedly beat over a traffic dispute.
Fifty-five-year-old Mark Wallace died Tuesday of injuries suffered April 8 in a beating in Northeast Philadelphia.
Police say Wallace walked in front of a car driven by 47-year-old off-duty firefighter Gerard Shaffer, sparking an argument over who had the right of way. They say Shaffer and his 21-year-old son, also named Gerard, jumped from the car and pummeled Wallace until he was unconscious.
The Shaffers were charged Monday with aggravated assault and other counts. But police say both men could now face murder charges.
The elder Shaffer, a 23-year veteran of the fire department, has been suspended with intent to dismiss.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, beating, homicide, local/state
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51 10 min ago
- Splendid spring finale
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Robbery suspect sought, Villanova U. locked down
- Crackdown on illegal street vendors in W. Phila.
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Viewer takes photos of bear in back yard
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Suspect robs Philadelphia Dunkin' Donuts at gunpoint
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones