Road rage suspect found dead in home
COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. - April 22, 2010 (WPVI) -- Police say the man linked to a road rage shooting on Route 422 was found dead inside his home.
Police tell Action News that John Yannarell was found dead in the master bedroom of his home. While a rifle was found in the room with him, police say it was not used to take his life. A coroner will perform an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.
A bench warrant had been issued for Yannarell after he failed to appear at his preliminary hearing on Thursday morning.
On Friday April 9th, 31-year-old Elizabeth Cox was shot while driving on Route 422 near Oaks in Montgomery County. 50-year-old John Yannarell of Gilbertsville was subsequently charged with attempted murder and aggravated assault.
Yannarell posted the $50,000 bail and was due in court at 10:00 a.m. today to face those charges, but failed to appear.
Police surrounded Yannarell's house in Gilbertsville late Thursday morning. They knocked on his door with guns drawn. They also went to a marina at the Jersey Shore looking for his boat.
Action News interviewed Yannarell last week, and he had said he had a rough time in jail and didn't want to go back.
Prosecutors were planning to charge Yannarell with additional charges at today's hearing.
The first set of additional charges stem from another alleged road rage shooting along Route 100 in Upper Pottsgrove Township, Montgomery County. Police say back on January 26, 2010, Yannarell fired a shot at a car driven by William Kiefer III.
The second alleged incident happened in September of 2009. In this instance, Yannarell is accused of throwing a full Gatorade bottle at a car while traveling upwards of 70mph along eastbound Route 422, near the Sanatoga Interchange in Lower Pottsgrove Township.
Yannarell's lawyer, Saul Solomon said Yannarell was informed of the new charges last night and didn't take it well. Solomon explained, "He was upset that he was being accused of additional charges. But he was just as upset about having made bail and now being told you may have to come up with more."
pennsylvania, montgomery county, road rage, shooting, local/state
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Very unsettled Thursday 44 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack
- SEPTA police chief using Twitter to fight crime
- Body of WWII hero returns home after 69 years
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall