Vineland mayor's car causes controversy
VINELAND, N.J. - April 22, 2010 (WPVI) -- Vineland mayor Robert Romano finds himself defending his use of a police department owned car which some believe is too flashy.
The car is a 2010 Dodge Charger SXT and it was purchased by the department to replace a 14-year-old Lincoln Continental. The mayor says he used until it started acting up a few months ago.
Romano is also the public safety director and points out that he doesn't draw a salary or benefits for that job.
"$20,000 for health benefits, $7,500 for the salary I don't take, $500 for expenses, that's $28,000. Plus, I don't take any expense for my miles and that's another thousand," Romano said.
Action News spoke with two councilmen who say the muscle car was purchased for police use, not the mayor's, even if he is public safety director. One said the mayor should use his own car and put in for expenses.
But, Councilman Louis Cresci won't go quite that far.
"I don't have a particular problem with the use of that car, but there could be other choices. I think that the mayor could use any car out of any in the fleet; we do have a carpool," Cresci said.
An invoice shows the Charger cost almost $19,000, a bit less than the Crown Victorias used by many police departments.
"If the citizens of Vineland think that is not right then I will gladly accept the pay and take the money," Romano said.
The mayor believes the car issue isn't about money or appearance, it's about petty politics. He says he's saving the city money by wearing two hats and there's nothing inappropriate about using this car.
new jersey, vineland, local/state
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 24 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 47 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 3 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 8 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 14 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 32 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 23 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 32 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
24 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
8 min ago