NJ man pleads in 2-year-old's death
CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE, N.J. (AP) - April 30, 2010 -- A Wildwood man charged in the beating death of his girlfriend's 2-year-old disabled son has pleaded guilty to aggravated manslaughter.
Damian Garcia Rodriguez entered his plea Thursday in a deal with Cape May County prosecutors. They will recommend a 13-year prison term, who no parole eligibility until he's served 85 percent of it.
The 33-year-old Wildwood resident said he was baby-sitting the child, who had cerebral palsy, at his girlfriend's Woodbine apartment last April when the boy fell out of his hands.
The child's mother came home and found the boy unconscious and turning blue.
He died the following day at Cape May Regional Medical Center. An autopsy determined the boy died from a blunt force trauma injury to the abdomen.
new jersey, child death, assault, disabilities, local/state
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 4 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases 25 min ago
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire