NJ man pleads in 2-year-old's death
CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE, N.J. (AP) - April 30, 2010 -- A Wildwood man charged in the beating death of his girlfriend's 2-year-old disabled son has pleaded guilty to aggravated manslaughter.
Damian Garcia Rodriguez entered his plea Thursday in a deal with Cape May County prosecutors. They will recommend a 13-year prison term, who no parole eligibility until he's served 85 percent of it.
The 33-year-old Wildwood resident said he was baby-sitting the child, who had cerebral palsy, at his girlfriend's Woodbine apartment last April when the boy fell out of his hands.
The child's mother came home and found the boy unconscious and turning blue.
He died the following day at Cape May Regional Medical Center. An autopsy determined the boy died from a blunt force trauma injury to the abdomen.
new jersey, child death, assault, disabilities, local/state
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?