Delco residents, rescuers treated for CO poisoning
YEADON, Pa. - May 2, 2010 (WPVI) -- Two people were rushed to the hospital early Sunday morning after being overcome by carbon monoxide.
They were found unconscious in a home in the 700 block of Fern Street in Yeadon, Delaware County.
It all began when a resident on the block smelled gas Saturday afternoon and called PECO to investigate.
PECO crews arrived and discovered a leak inside of the residence there. They repaired the leak and left.
Then, around 1:30 a.m., the same resident again detected a foul odor and called PECO crews back to investigate. A PECO worker found nothing but put a CO detector meter inside of the mailslot of the neighbor's home.
Soon, extremely elevated levels of CO were discovered. The PECO worker contacted 911 and began to evacuate the neighboring homes. Police arrived and broke into the home with firefighters and discovered a man and a woman unconscious in the house.
The victims were removed and transported to the hospital for treatment. As a precaution, four firefighters and a police officer were also taken to the hospital.
Authorities tell Action News that utilities had been cut off the home with the elevated CO levels and that a generator was found running in the basement.
pennsylvania, delaware county, carbon monoxide, local/state
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected 2 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in New Castle Co. 57 min ago
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Video: Christmas tree comes to life in school prank 14 min ago
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
2 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in New Castle...
57 min ago
- Christmas tree comes to life in school prank
14 min ago