Heat, humidity makes for tough Broad Street Run
PHILADELPHIA - May 2, 2010 (WPVI) -- A number of people fell ill during the 2010 Broad Street Run, held on a hot and humid Sunday morning.
Even the elite runners, like men's winner Alene Reta and women's winner Buzunesha Deba, said their times were worse this year because of the heat.
Action News' own Adam Joseph and Ali Gorman, who both ran this year, gave high praise to race organizers who turned on fire hydrants to cool runners down while providing some one million cups of water during the 10 mile course.
"The medics, you've got to give them credit because they are getting a great workout today," Ali said. "They're doing a great job, though."
In fact, at the finish line, it seemed EMTs did as much running as the racers as they rushed to help dozens of runners who were overcome by dehydration, cramping and dizziness.
One man even had to be rushed to the hospital after collapsing in the area of Pattison Avenue. His condition is unknown.
A total of 36 runners had to be transported to local hospitals.
Some 30,000 people participated in the race.
The American Cancer Society benefits through the runners donations and pledges.
The first of the male winners to cross the finish line was Alene Reta of New York. He finished the race with a time of 48:10.
The first woman to complete the race was Buzunesha Deba, also of New York. She finished with a time of 55:13.
For a complete list of results, CLICK HERE.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, broad street run, local/state
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish 29 min ago
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill 9 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar