Philly teacher honored on Rachel Ray Show
PHILADELPHIA - May 3, 2010 (WPVI) -- A local culinary teacher's tough love for her students was the focus of the Rachel Ray show on Monday morning.
Culinary arts instructor Wilma Stephenson at Frankford High School in Northeast Philadelphia has created a recipe of tough love for her students.
On her show, Ray said she was inspired and moved by Wilma's story and her teaching style that brings home one major lesson: failure is not an option.
Over the years Wilma has taught hundreds of Philadelphia children, many of whom she helped to survive some challenging conditions at home and on the streets.
"I'm trying to teach them, and I believe that I am, teaching them life," she said.
"I just applaud you because there's so little of this left in the world," said Ray.
Actually, Rachel Ray did more than just applaud Stephenson. A few weeks ago Action News was there as the entire student body at Frankford High received a huge surprise, word of a big kitchen makeover. Stephenson's classroom would be transformed into a state-of-the art bistro.
"We're going to deck it out with the coolest, top of the line stuff. Stoves, sinks, cabinets, tables, chairs," Ray said in a videotaped statement at the time.
The unveiling happened on the Rachel Ray Show that aired Monday morning.
But that was just the appetizer! Rachel Ray also gave the students something special: A $5,000 scholarship.
Wilma Stephenson also got an all-expenses paid trip to the 5-star CuisinArt Resort and Spa in Anguilla.
It was an emotional morning for a teacher who only wanted her kids to be the best.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, rachel ray, school, local/state, rick williams
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy 25 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy 41 min ago
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 8 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 6 min ago
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown 7 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
- 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
41 min ago
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate...
37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
25 min ago