Rape, murder trial begins for Philadelphia man
DOYLESTOWN, Pa. - May 18, 2010 -- The trial has begun for a Philadelphia man accused of carjacking a couple before raping the woman and killing her boyfriend two years ago.
Prosecutors described a terrifying three-hour ordeal in which 28-year-old Omar Sharif Cash killed 32-year-old Edgar Rosas-Gutierrez and repeatedly raped his girlfriend after pulling a gun on them outside a Philadelphia nightclub in 2008.
Authorities say Cash forced Rosas-Gutierrez to drive while he raped the woman in the back seat then killed him along the side of the road in Bucks County. They say he then took the woman to a New Jersey motel where he raped her again before she escaped.
Cash was later arrested in New York.
Defense attorney Charles Jonas questioned the woman's credibility, saying her account had changed.
Cash is also charged with another murder in Philadelphia.
pennsylvania, trial, rape, carjacking, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video 59 min ago
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught...
59 min ago