New sponsor, new attractions for 'Welcome America'
PHILADELPHIA - May 6, 2010 (WPVI) -- Fourth of July festivities in Philadelphia have a new name this year.
Wawa is now the sponsor of Welcome America and 6abc is once again broadcast partners.
As for what you can expect to see on Independence Day, we now know that rock legends The Goo Goo Dolls will be the headlining act on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway on the Fourth of July.
People come from around the world to gather for what has become the largest free concert in the country.
Mayor Michael Nutter revealed all the details on Thursday about the 10 days of family fun to be showcased in the city.
"We'll also get a tremendous economic benefit from these activities. This summer we will host a million and a half visitors here in our city," Mayor Nutter said.
New this year: Three different fireworks displays and a showing of the blockbuster hit "Avatar" under the stars.
The other big headliner will be Morris Day and the Time, who will perform for free at the Penn's Landing concert.
Wawa is the title sponsor for the first time.
"On behalf of Wawa, and our 16,000 associates, we are so excited to be part of this wonderful, wonderful celebration," said spokesperson Lisa Wollan. "Wawa Welcome America. I think that has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?"
The Mayor also recognized 6abc President and General Manager Bernie Prazenica.
"And as you might hear during the course of the day, the most watched news station in the Delaware Valley is 6abc!" said Mayor Nutter.
Action News' Rick Williams and Cecily Tynan will be your hosts for the broadcast of Wawa Welcome America on 6abc.
RELATED LINK: Wawa Welcome America website
philadelphia, pennsylvania, welcome america, independence day, local/state, karen rogers
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 40 min ago
- Milder Monday 27 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 40 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 22 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 40 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up 38 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
40 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
40 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
40 min ago
- Milder Monday
27 min ago