Murder charges sought in MOVE bombing
PHILADELPHIA - May 12, 2010 -- A survivor of the 1985 fatal police bombing in Philadelphia wants to file private criminal complaints charging former city officials with murder.
Ramona Africa says an ex-mayor and former police and fire commissioners are among those responsible for the deaths of 11 members of the militant group MOVE.
The district attorney's office notified Africa last month that such complaints are only permitted for misdemeanors, not felonies.
But Africa's lawyers filed motions Wednesday in Common Pleas Court asking a judge to force the district attorney's office to review the complaints.
Thursday is the 25th anniversary of the day police dropped a bomb on the MOVE compound in an effort to arrest members. Africa is one of two MOVE members who escaped.
No public official has been criminally prosecuted in the case.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, police, bombing, MOVE, local/state
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash 34 min ago
- Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub 15 min ago
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- SEPTA bus strikes and kills man
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million