Severe storms cause damage, knock out power
Bridgeton, NJ - May 15, 2010 (WPVI) -- Some people in the area are cleaning up damage caused by Friday night's strong storms.
Some residents of Bridgeton, Cumberland County tell Action News that they believe a tornado caused damage in their town.
For 20 years, Catherine Cooper has worked to restore her Woodland Drive home in Bridgeton. Only her son was at home last night, in his room when a tree slammed through his ceiling.
"I was out shopping. I got home. My house was in total blackness. My kid was standing out front and there was a tree through my house," Catherine said.
Evidence of last night's wild weather scattered across Bridgeton. Severe wind gusts tore massive trees from their roots, several crashing down on homes.
The gusts were so strong that a roof of a garage was flung into the woods. A brick chimney was ripped off a roof and thrown all the way down the street.
In the light of day, neighbors surveyed the damage across their communities remembering the height of last night's storm and by nightfall, neighbors on Lincoln Drive were still clearing away the fallen debris.
"It was horrendous, it was pouring, I mean, pouring," resident Nelly Chann said.
A tree crashed down onto an SUV in Berlin, Camden County. No one was in the SUV at the time.
Orange notices were tacked onto doors on Vine Street where the structural damage deemed the conditions too unsafe to remain.
Hail the size of a quarter was also reported in spots across the area.
More than 17,000 power outages were reported in Cumberland County at the height of the storm.
A funnel cloud was also reported in Emmaus, Lehigh County. Officials say the funnel cloud never touched the ground.
Winds up to 60 miles per hour moved through the Lehigh Valley and other parts of the tri-state area.
There were no official reports of tornados as the National Weather Service reports only straight-line winds struck Bridgeton.
The winds were strong enough to splint utility poles and knockdown power lines.
But it's all damage these neighbors say they can recover from together.
new jersey, severe weather, local/state
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Brisk And Cold 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill 54 min ago
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken 15 min ago
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment 41 min ago
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Brisk And Cold
47 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in...
54 min ago
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken
15 min ago
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment
41 min ago