Repairs continue on sinkhole in Trenton street
TRENTON, N.J. - May 17, 2010 (WPVI) -- Workers continued to repair a sinkhole that opened in a Trenton, N.J. street.
It began around 3:15 a.m. Sunday when a plug on an abandoned 20-inch water main, about 7 feet underground, gave way, and water rushed out to create a sinkhole near Olden Avenue and New York Avenue.
"The water was coming up like oil," said witness Gay Williams. "It was just coming up out of the ground like a gusher."
As many as 100,000 gallons of water may have leaked before it was stopped.
"Unfortunately it appears the plug blew out and allowed water to get into an area that it shouldn't have and that's why it rose up through the ground and blew the street out," said Water and Sewer Superintendent Joe McIntyre.
There was a gaping hole in the ground Monday as crews waited to replace the cap that blew.
The intersection remained closed Monday, with repairs expected to continue into Tuesday.
The Olden Avenue bridge is closed, and authorities have installed concrete barriers in the area so that no one drives into the sinkhole.
A nearby motel, The Budget Inn, has been without water since Sunday.
"Because of that our motel customers are in trouble," said motel manager Ghiraj Desai. "We cannot take new customers."
Detours are in effect. Brunswick Avenue and Southard Street are alternatives to go around the area.
People in the neighborhood are having trouble dealing with the inconvenience.
"We have no water. We have to go to other places in order to get water to flush the toilet," said Gail Williams. "It's really an inconvenience but there isnt much we can do about it."
new jersey, trenton, sinkhole, local/state
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 30 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar 5 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane 12 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
5 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak...
12 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
1 min ago