Convicted sex offender gets Census job in N.J.
PENNSAUKEN, N.J. - May 18, 2010 (WPVI) -- When a U.S. Census taker came to Amy Schmalbach's Pennsauken home earlier this month, she answered his questions without thinking twice. He was a government worker with the right ID. But by the end of that visit Amy had some questions of her own after realizing the Census taker's true identity.
Amy Schmalbach told Action News, "I looked closely at his face and I realized I recognized this man from the NJ State Police sex offender registry."
Amy was right. Forty-seven-year-old Frank Kuni is a registered sex offender who's served time for a number of crimes including inappropriate contact with children.
"He has a laundry list of things he's done," Schmalbach said, "and he could have very well hurt me or, even worse God forbid, my son."
Kuni used one of his 16 aliases to get a job with the U.S. Census, which fired him after he failed the fingerprint and background check. But he'd already started making house visits before being let go.
Fernando Armstrong, the U.S. Census Regional Director, told Action News, "This is an isolated incident, that fortunately we were able to identify and pull the ID and terminate his appointment."
Since becoming a mother Amy Schmalbach faithfully checks the sex offender registries every couple months, and it paid off. She alerted her neighbors and police about the convicted predator knocking on doors and collecting personal information.
Kuni has been charged with false representation and impersonating a public official. He's now being held in the Camden County Jail.
new jersey, local/state, nora muchanic
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment 47 min ago
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown 20 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel 45 min ago
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser 46 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 3 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry 2 min ago
- Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
43 min ago
- Firefighters rescue puppy from sewer drain
42 min ago
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
47 min ago
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police...
46 min ago