The Philadelphia Inquirer planning 3-D section
PHILADELPHIA - May 20, 2010 -- Want journalism with depth? The Philadelphia Inquirer is going 3-D.
The paper plans to publish a special section next month featuring full-page 3-D pictures and advertisements, and will provide clear-lens 3-D glasses for viewing them.
The special edition is scheduled to appear on newsstands on Sunday, June 13, and be available on the philly.com the following day. The goal is to push the experience readers can get from newspapers, outgoing Publisher Brian Tierney said in a statement.
Three-dimensional effects have been growing in popularity recently, including the successful 3-D release of Avatar and Playboy's decision to publish a 3-D centerfold in its June issue. Newspapers in China, London and Belgium have likewise rolled out 3-D editions this spring.
Tierney recently lost a hard-fought battle for control of the company during a bankruptcy fight with creditors, who last month won an auction of the company's assets with a $139 million bid.
He announced the 3-D editions on Thursday, a day before he steps down as the company's chief executive officer. He will continue as publisher until the close of the bankruptcy sale, which is expected by early July.
Philadelphia Newspapers also publishes the tabloid Philadelphia Daily News.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, philadelphia inquirer, philadelphia daily news, local/state
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 23 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
23 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
9 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos