9-year-old attacked by pit bull
MINQUADALE, Del. - May 22, 2010 (WPVI) -- New Castle County Police and the Delaware SPCA are currently investigating a canine attack in the community of Oakmont.
A 9-year-old boy was transported to the Christiana Hospital where he is being treated for puncture wounds to his leg.
At 7:00 p.m. Saturday, County Police and the SPCA responded to an address in the unit block of Oakmont Drive for a report of a child that was being attacked and dragged by a Pit Bull Terrier. When emergency personnel arrived, they found the child suffering from puncture wounds to his leg.
The investigation revealed the victim and another child were walking in the area of Oakmont Drive when two Pit Bulls started to chase them.
The victim jumped onto the hood of a car in an attempt to get out of the reach of the canine.
The female dog was able to grab the victim's pant leg and pulled him off of the car. He was then bitten and dragged by the canine a short distance until a neighbor struck the dog with a metal pole several times which caused it to run off.
An agent from the SPCA responded to the scene and was able to catch the canine. The owner has not yet been located.
The victim's injuries are not considered to be serious.
delaware, dog attack, local/state
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Camden man accused of robbing 5 banks in 1 month 10 min ago
- Pa. girl, 18, survives bear attack
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash 24 min ago
- Women sentenced in murder of Danny DeGennaro 33 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs; $1M ticket sold in NJ
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Bedbug fighter recalled over fire hazard 3 min ago