9-year-old attacked by pit bull
MINQUADALE, Del. - May 22, 2010 (WPVI) -- New Castle County Police and the Delaware SPCA are currently investigating a canine attack in the community of Oakmont.
A 9-year-old boy was transported to the Christiana Hospital where he is being treated for puncture wounds to his leg.
At 7:00 p.m. Saturday, County Police and the SPCA responded to an address in the unit block of Oakmont Drive for a report of a child that was being attacked and dragged by a Pit Bull Terrier. When emergency personnel arrived, they found the child suffering from puncture wounds to his leg.
The investigation revealed the victim and another child were walking in the area of Oakmont Drive when two Pit Bulls started to chase them.
The victim jumped onto the hood of a car in an attempt to get out of the reach of the canine.
The female dog was able to grab the victim's pant leg and pulled him off of the car. He was then bitten and dragged by the canine a short distance until a neighbor struck the dog with a metal pole several times which caused it to run off.
An agent from the SPCA responded to the scene and was able to catch the canine. The owner has not yet been located.
The victim's injuries are not considered to be serious.
delaware, dog attack, local/state
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del. 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike 29 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 59 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet 57 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber