Search continues for owner in Del. dog attack
OAKMONT, Del. - May 24, 2010 (WPVI) -- Police say they are still looking for the owner of a dog involved in a weekend attack on a nine-year-old boy.
Investigators say the dog is in quarantine and will remain there for 10 days. If the owner is not found in that time, the dog will likely be euthanized.
The owner will face charges once located.
The attack happened around 7:00 p.m. Saturday in the Oakmont community in New Castle County, Delaware. There, police say, a child was attacked and dragged by a pit bull terrier.
When emergency personnel arrived on the unit block of Oakdale Drive, they found the child suffering from puncture wounds to the leg.
The investigation revealed the victim and another child were walking in the area of Oakmont Drive when the pit bull started to chase them. The victim jumped onto the hood of a car in an attempt to get out of the reach of the canine.
The female dog was able to grab the victim's pant leg and pulled him off of the car. He was then bitten and dragged by the canine a short distance until a neighbor struck the dog with a metal pole several times which caused it to run off.
An agent from the SPCA responded to the scene and was able to catch the dog.
The victim's injuries are not considered to be serious.
delaware, dog attack, local/state
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Hunt for missing Malaysian jet widens 3 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash 33 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike pileup focus of senate hearing 12 min ago
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos