Phila. man convicted in horrifying rape, murder case
DOYLESTOWN, Pa. - May 18, 2010 -- A Philadelphia man could face the death penalty after a suburban jury found him guilty of carjacking a couple before killing the man and repeatedly raping his girlfriend.
A jury must now decide if 28-year-old Omar Cash should be condemned to death or serve life in prison after they convicted him Thursday of first-degree murder, rape and other charges.
Prosecutors say Cash carjacked 32-year-old Edgar Rosas-Gutierrez and his girlfriend outside a Philadelphia nightclub in May 2008.
They say he forced Rosas-Gutierrez to drive while he raped the woman then ordered Rosas-Gutierrez out of the car and shot him in the head.
Investigators say the woman later escaped from Cash at a New Jersey motel.
Cash's lawyers suggested the woman lied about the shooting in order to legalize her immigration status.
pennsylvania, trial, rape, carjacking, local/state
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted schools; 8 arrested 21 min ago
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Package prompts evac at Del. National Guard base 30 min ago
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Woman's body found in Pa. excavation storage site
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55 17 min ago
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River 15 min ago
- American Meb Keflezighi wins Boston Marathon 2 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!