DNA from aborted fetus leads to rape arrest
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - June 2, 2010 -- Police in suburban Philadelphia say a DNA sample taken from an aborted fetus has led to the arrest of a rape suspect.
Upper Darby police Superintendent Michael Chitwood says 26-year-old Samuel Nyenka was arrested last week.
Chitwood says the alleged victim did not immediately come forward because Nyenka is her sister's boyfriend. It was only after she learned she was pregnant that she spoke with police four months later.
Chitwood said Tuesday that Nyenka denied any sexual contact with the woman, so with the alleged victim's permission they obtained a DNA sample from the fetus. He says tests determined Nyenka was the father.
Nyenka is facing charges including rape and sexual assault. He is being held on $150,000 bail at the Delaware County prison. It was not clear if he had an attorney.
pennsylvania, delaware county, upper darby, dna, abortion, rape, local/state
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges
- Shower In Spots
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Child falls from 2-story window in Point Breeze
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- No Triple Crown: Oxbow upsets Orb at Preakness