DNA from aborted fetus leads to rape arrest
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - June 2, 2010 -- Police in suburban Philadelphia say a DNA sample taken from an aborted fetus has led to the arrest of a rape suspect.
Upper Darby police Superintendent Michael Chitwood says 26-year-old Samuel Nyenka was arrested last week.
Chitwood says the alleged victim did not immediately come forward because Nyenka is her sister's boyfriend. It was only after she learned she was pregnant that she spoke with police four months later.
Chitwood said Tuesday that Nyenka denied any sexual contact with the woman, so with the alleged victim's permission they obtained a DNA sample from the fetus. He says tests determined Nyenka was the father.
Nyenka is facing charges including rape and sexual assault. He is being held on $150,000 bail at the Delaware County prison. It was not clear if he had an attorney.
pennsylvania, delaware county, upper darby, dna, abortion, rape, local/state
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 31 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases 52 min ago
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire