Vineland couple beaten and robbed
VINELAND, N.J. - June 21, 2010 (WPVI) -- Police are now offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to the capture of the suspects wanted for robbing and assaulting an elderly couple.
Police say two gunmen approached 69-year old William Ocasio and his 70-year-old wife, Ledy, as they arrived home on the 200 block of Yelka Avenua in Vineland at around 11:00 p.m. Friday.
The two robbers were wearing masks and dark clothing and had been hiding behind the garage.
Police say the Ocasios were pistol-whipped in the head.
The robbers stole some money and fled.
The Ocasios sell food, clothing and basic supplies at the farm labor camps and were in the driveway with their truck when they were attacked.
Police believe the attackers knew their routine and knew they would be returning home with cash.
"This was a very brutal crime," Detective Lieutenant Thomas Ulrich of the Vineland Police said.
Ledy Ocasio is in stable condition with head wounds.
William remains unconscious in critical condition.
The viciousness of the crime has stunned the neighborhood and the Ocasios' six children.
"Right now, I'm just hoping nothing happens to my stepdad because if anything happens somebody's in deep, deep trouble," the victims' son, Ozzie Mori, told Action News.
Sarah Freites, the victims' daughter, wants anybody with information to come forward.
"We don't want this to happen to anyone else; these people have no respect for human life," Freites said.
Vineland Crime Stoppers is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to the suspects. They can be reached at 856-691-0345.
new jersey, vineland, assault, local/state
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- Teen shot in Wilmington 28 min ago
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced
- ID released of man killed on Pa. Turnpike
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Study: Child an hour injured on high chairs
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition