Storm cleanup continues as power outages wane
BROOMALL, Pa. - June 26, 2010 (WPVI) -- From Delaware County to Camden County, 48 hours later, storm damage remains.
Clean up continues , crews work around the clock to restore power, and neighbors are still talking about the intense fast moving storm that hit Thursday afternoon.
"It was dark. It was like nighttime around here, the wind was blowing, the hail was like the size of golf balls; it was incredible," Bill Huet of Broomall said.
It was certainly a tricky storm where one tree was left untouched and another tree just 30 feet away was torn apart.
Besides trees and power lines, winds also tore off roofing shingles and siding.
"Between siding, roofing, and tree debris, we got hit pretty hard," Broomall resident Vaughn Jamgochian said.
Utility crews from a number of states have arrived. One crew from Ohio worked on restoring a 4,000 volt line in Broomall. .
For some folks, it was cooler today outside in the shade than inside their stuffy powerless apartments. So they made the best of a bad situation.
"It's kind of like a block party. We just kind of beg, borrow, and steal, everybody sharing what food isn't in the dumpsters. I think everybody's freezers, refrigerators are officially in the dumpster," Denise Thompson said.
The question now is when will electricity return?
PECO said today the hope is, at least, to have everyone back online by Sunday night.
pennsylvania, chester county, delaware county, severe weather, local/state, john rawlins
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia 50 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home 48 min ago
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier