Rain dampens but doesn't douse 3 NJ forest fires
BARNEGAT, N.J. - June 29, 2010 -- Rain dampened but didn't douse three forest fires burning in the New Jersey Pinelands, all of which continued to smolder Tuesday.
Two are largely burning underground.
None of the blazes was considered a threat to people or property.
A fire that started Monday at a firing range on the Army's portion of Joint Base McGuire-Fort Dix-Lakehurst grew overnight to nearly 400 acres as of Tuesday morning.
The fire was smoldering and smoke was blowing toward Ocean County.
Elsewhere in Ocean County, a fire that charred nearly 900 acres in and around Barnegat continued to smolder underground. So did a 3 1/2-acre fire in Evesham Township, Burlington County.
new jersey, fort dix, fire, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 9 min ago
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 31 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 1 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton 28 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
9 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
1 min ago