It's a girl! Giraffe gives birth at Philly zoo
PHILADELPHIA - July 20, 2010 -- It's a girl! And she's 6 feet tall!
The Philadelphia Zoo is welcoming a newborn giraffe - the first to be born at the zoo in 13 years.
The unnamed female born Saturday is the offspring of 9-year-old Stella and 4-year-old Gus.
Zoo officials made the birth announcement Tuesday. They say the giraffe was delivered after a 15-month gestation, and that both mother and calf are doing well.
Officials aren't sure when Stella and her calf will make their public debut. They say the first few weeks of a calf's life are the most critical.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, philadelphia zoo, local/state
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 36 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 31 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 47 min ago
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Video: Boy gets stuck in claw arcade game
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos