It's a girl! Giraffe gives birth at Philly zoo
PHILADELPHIA - July 20, 2010 -- It's a girl! And she's 6 feet tall!
The Philadelphia Zoo is welcoming a newborn giraffe - the first to be born at the zoo in 13 years.
The unnamed female born Saturday is the offspring of 9-year-old Stella and 4-year-old Gus.
Zoo officials made the birth announcement Tuesday. They say the giraffe was delivered after a 15-month gestation, and that both mother and calf are doing well.
Officials aren't sure when Stella and her calf will make their public debut. They say the first few weeks of a calf's life are the most critical.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, philadelphia zoo, local/state
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered
- Winds Ease Overnight 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Wedding crashers caught on camera 9 min ago
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault 3 min ago
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school 35 min ago
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Winds Ease Overnight
29 min ago