Dog attacks woman in Point Breeze
POINT BREEZE - July 31, 2010 (WPVI) -- A woman underwent surgery after being attacked by a friend's dog in Point Breeze.
The massive 3-year-old Cane Corso Mastiff (pronounced KAH-nay COR-soh) named Jedi was carried out with a muzzle still alive by Animal Care and Control Saturday evening.
Police were forced to shoot the dog after he had attacked and injured two women inside the Point Breeze home on South 24th Street around 6:00 p.m.
41-year-old Anita-Henderson underwent surgery at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania after being mauled by her friend's Mastiff.
The owner tells Action News she was preparing food for the dog, when unprovoked, he attacked.
He first sunk his teeth into his owner Debra Hankins' arm and then set his sights on her best friend.
"My girlfriend was sitting in the chair and he went straight for her," Hankins said.
First, Hankins tried to pull the dog off Anita Henderson as he bit her chin, head, arm, and legs, but then Hankins escaped out the front door screaming for help.
"She was screaming 'call the police, call the police,' so we called the police," neighbor Robert Latimore said.
"I told her to play dead. That's all I could tell her to do, but she kept saying, 'he's on my leg, he's on my leg,'" Hankins said.
"They entered the property, the dog left the lady and then charged at the officers, as a result an officer discharged twice, striking the dog," Lt. Demetrius Monk of the Philadelphia Police Department said.
It is not known what will happen to the dog.
The owner, however, says she doesn't want him back.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, dog attack, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City 36 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success' 48 min ago
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
36 min ago