NJ man who killed parrot enters PTI program
MORRISTOWN, N.J. - August 3, 2010 -- An animal cruelty charge could be dismissed against a New Jersey man who killed his family's parrot for squawking while he tried to watch NASCAR on TV.
Dennis Zeglin has been admitted into the Pretrial Intervention program for first-time offenders.
The charge will be dismissed and the 67-year-old will not have a record if the Randolph resident successfully serves three years on probation.
Zeglin also must complete 100 hours of community service with a humane center.
Zeglin's lawyer has said his client was intoxicated when he shot "Mikey" with a pellet gun in 2009 because the 20-year-old African Grey parrot distracted him while he watched the race.
Zeglin declined comment.
Information from: Daily Record, http://www.dailyrecord.com
animals, animal abuse, nascar, new jersey, local/state
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos