NJ man who killed parrot enters PTI program
MORRISTOWN, N.J. - August 3, 2010 -- An animal cruelty charge could be dismissed against a New Jersey man who killed his family's parrot for squawking while he tried to watch NASCAR on TV.
Dennis Zeglin has been admitted into the Pretrial Intervention program for first-time offenders.
The charge will be dismissed and the 67-year-old will not have a record if the Randolph resident successfully serves three years on probation.
Zeglin also must complete 100 hours of community service with a humane center.
Zeglin's lawyer has said his client was intoxicated when he shot "Mikey" with a pellet gun in 2009 because the 20-year-old African Grey parrot distracted him while he watched the race.
Zeglin declined comment.
Information from: Daily Record, http://www.dailyrecord.com
animals, animal abuse, nascar, new jersey, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet 5 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 50 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 57 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Video: Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane 11 min ago
- Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane
11 min ago
- 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
30 min ago
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
58 min ago